The Highest-Paying Digital Marketing Careers of 2021
Chief marketing officers, digital marketing managers, and public relations managers are just a few of the top digital marketing careers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the job market for such professionals will grow faster than the national average in the next decade. Once you go to school for digital marketing, you will need to find a job in the field.
Digital marketing includes search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, and email marketing. If you’re interested in becoming an SEO specialist or brand manager, check out our guide. You can learn everything you need to know about the best digital marketing careers, including salary expectations and job responsibilities.
What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the use of different marketing tactics to reach targeted consumers online. This form of marketing is slightly different from traditional marketing. It uses online marketing to market products or services to Internet users, the majority of which are the target audience.
Over the past decade, digital marketing has become an essential component to improve brand awareness and market positioning. Examples of digital marketing strategies include affiliate marketing, content marketing, and SEO.
Why You Should Pursue a Career in Digital Marketing
Digital marketing has multiple careers that you can pursue. Popular career paths in digital marketing include brand manager, market research analyst, and SEO specialist.
Careers in digital marketing also have a slightly better job outlook than the average occupation in the United States. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates a six percent increase in the job market for digital marketers. This is about three percent higher than the national average for all occupations.
There will be lots of job options available for those in the digital marketing world. No matter your talent, you will be able to find a job in the field. Read below to learn more about the best digital marketing careers in 2021.
Top 10 Digital Marketing Careers at a Glance
There are many different career options under digital marketing. If you are uncertain about which to pursue, consider the table below featuring 10 of the best digital marketing careers. Information has been sourced from ZipRecruiter and BLS. Job growth numbers refer to the number of jobs available in the field between 2019 and 2029.
|Job Title||Education Requirement||Projected Job Growth||Median Pay|
|Chief Marketing Officer||Master’s Degree||6 percent*||$141,490|
|Public Relations Manager||Master’s Degree||9 percent||$118,430|
|Digital Marketing Manager||Master’s Degree||6 percent*||$104,259|
|Brand Manager||Master’s Degree||6 percent*||$78,985|
|UX Designer||Associate Degree||8 percent**||$77,200|
|Copywriter||Bachelor’s Degree||7 percent||$74,650|
|Marketing Manager||Master’s Degree||6 percent*||$66,085|
|Market Research Analyst||Associate Degree||18 percent||$65,810|
|SEO Specialist||Associate Degree||8 percent**||$54,144|
|Email Marketing Specialist||Associate Degree||6 percent*||$54,037|
*Projected job growth is based on BLS data for Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers.
** Projected growth is based on BLS data for Web Developers and Digital Designers.
The Best Digital Marketing Careers in 2021
Digital marketing is a broad field with a wide variety of career options. Below are the best digital marketing careers, including the job responsibilities and education requirements.
Chief marketing officers are senior professionals who lead overall marketing functions. They often work in large companies to improve brand awareness about organizational goals. As this is a managerial position, most employers prefer hiring candidates with a master’s degree and more than five years of experience in marketing.
Chief Marketing Officer Responsibilities
- Leads all marketing activities and plans, tests, implements, and improves marketing strategies
- Works with other professionals such as marketing managers to execute marketing strategies
- Evaluates the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and communicates recommendations to marketing managers
- Ensures all marketing campaigns are in line with organizational strategy
Websites, just like most products and services, need marketing to create or increase brand awareness. An SEO specialist improves the overall website ranking on major search engines such as Google and Bing. SEO specialists have grown in demand as most businesses today need their websites to rank highly on major search engines.
SEO Specialist Responsibilities
- Optimizes websites for SEO and SEM purposes.
- Performs keyword research and optimization
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports web analytics of marketing campaigns
- Develops effective page landing and building strategies
Market research analysts use industry research to determine the best sales and marketing strategies. They implement plans that will ensure company branding is done in line with organizational goals. Most employers require at least a bachelor’s degree for this position. If you’ve completed a solid data science bachelor’s program, this career is a good choice.
Market Research Analyst Responsibilities
- Manages and operates marketing campaigns
- Performs customer satisfaction surveys and makes recommendations based on the findings
- Monitors and analyzes competitive market conditions and provides insights
- Administers marketing and sales functions to increase sales and consumer satisfaction levels
Marketing managers are experienced professionals who provide marketing services to organizations. Unlike the specialists mentioned above, these professionals are rarely involved with sales campaigns. To become one, you need a marketing degree backed by years of experience.
Marketing Manager Responsibilities
- Provides marketing strategies in line with organizational requirements
- Establishes strategies for social media, the Internet, and emails to drive new clients to the organization
- Reviews marketing campaigns and their performance to develop improvements
Copywriters and technical writers deliver written content to organizations to promote specific products. They deliver top content across all digital and print media while still meeting corporate guidelines. Content marketing is an increasingly popular form of digital marketing, so this career is a great choice if you have writing skills.
- Delivers written content to promote specific products or services
- Provides insights to help raise brand awareness
- Works closely with the content manager to develop a content strategy
- Has knowledge about several content channels to help in directing content for these audiences
User experience designers develop web platforms that match company needs. They work with brand and marketing managers to arrive at web solutions that will drive brand awareness levels higher. To become one, you need to attend a bootcamp or earn a bachelor’s degree. You will need to learn HTML and other programming languages.
UX Designer Responsibilities
- Finds creative ways to solve interface-related problems
- Works with marketers and other designers to arrive at attractive designs
- Communicates ideas and development stages with clients
- Keeps up-to-date with industry trends and competitor tactics
Brand managers work closely with other senior staff, including the CEO, to develop and execute brand strategy. As this is a senior position, most employers prefer hiring holders of Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees. Leadership skills and organizational skills are also essential skills that help these professionals meet objectives.
Brand Manager Responsibilities
- Oversees the development of the company’s brand
- Works towards developing a premium brand image among new customers
- Leads the merchandising campaigns and sales efforts
- Acts as a representative of the company’s brand when it comes to global marketing projects
Digital marketing managers and directors oversee the entire digital marketing process. They work on both long-term and short-term marketing campaigns. Entry-level managers typically have a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Strategic thinking, time management, and communication are essential skills needed to be successful.
Digital Marketing Manager Responsibilities
- Identifies new platforms and tools to spearhead promotion campaigns
- Oversees the use of web analytics to generate ideal marketing strategies
- Tracks consumer purchasing behavior
- Works with others to optimize marketing campaigns
The public relations manager leads all activities related to the planning and implementation of strategies to build a positive brand image. As this is a senior position, most employers prefer hiring candidates with a master’s degree. However, a bachelor’s degree will get your foot in the door.
Public Relations Manager Responsibilities
- Manages marketing materials such as the website and social media profiles on behalf of the company
- Audits all marketing activities and materials before they are implemented
- Researches and finds new ways of advancing a company’s brand
- Plans and creates the annual marketing budget
Email marketing specialists create and execute email marketing strategies. They oversee most of the marketing campaigns, especially on the email front. This career requires extensive experience and technical knowledge. Soft skills such as communication and problem-solving significantly increase your chances of securing employment.
Email Marketing Specialist Responsibilities
- Develops a host of marketing strategies with emails
- Works with other staff members in the design process
- Analyzes key metrics such as emails opened and links clicked
- Prepares reports to communicate findings or recommendations to key stakeholders
What Education Is Required for a Career in Digital Marketing?
Most digital marketing careers have different education requirements. That being said, employers prefer employing candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or a related field.
Professionals looking to climb up the managerial ladder must have a master’s degree and considerable experience working in senior positions. Certificates can also be helpful. In a certificate program, you can learn the fundamentals of marketing, including consumer behavior and communications methods.
However, some openings in digital marketing have no compulsory qualifications. This means that individuals must demonstrate an ability to work in digital marketing. Having work experience from an internship is a great way to enter the field.
Can I Study Digital Marketing Online?
Yes, you can study digital marketing online. There are many online courses offered by online learning platforms like Udemy, Coursera, and more. These courses cover key digital marketing concepts such as SEO ranking, content marketing, and more.
Online courses also tend to be cheaper than in-person courses at a university. For such reasons, you might want to consider online colleges to study marketing.
Personality Traits Necessary for a Digital Marketing Career
Digital marketers are known for their ability to communicate. However, there are other essential personality traits that such professionals should have. For instance, they need to be flexible and ready to adapt to change. Digital media is constantly changing, so you will need to stay up to date.
These skills come in handy when drafting marketing strategies. Other essential personality traits that you must have to succeed in digital marketing include a willingness to learn, confidence, the ability to work with others, reliability, and dedication.
Is a Digital Marketing Job Good for Me?
Yes, a career in digital marketing might be ideal for you. Such jobs have great salaries and a high rate of growth.
However, there is huge competition for skilled individuals in this industry. This means that you should consider adding a few skills and taking some online digital marketing courses to make you highly marketable in a competitive field. If you want to pursue a digital marketing career, you should start now.